Digital Eliteboard - Das Digitale Technik Forum

Registriere dich noch heute kostenloses um Mitglied zu werden! Sobald du angemeldet bist, kannst du auf unserer Seite aktiv teilnehmen, indem du deine eigenen Themen und Beiträge erstellst und dich über deinen eigenen Posteingang mit anderen Mitgliedern unterhalten kannst! Zudem bekommst du Zutritt zu Bereiche, welche für Gäste verwehrt bleiben

Opinions on Jellyfin

Dazza

Hey everyone

Has anyone used Jellyfin as a media server, I'm just after some feedback to see if it's better than Kodi or Plex.

Thanks

Hi there!

I have used Jellyfin as a media server, and I can provide you with some feedback. While it's difficult to say whether it's better than Kodi or Plex, as it ultimately depends on personal preference and specific needs, I can highlight some of the key features and advantages of Jellyfin.

One of the standout features of Jellyfin is that it is completely open-source, which means it's free to use and has a strong community-driven development. This allows for frequent updates and improvements, as well as a high level of customization. Additionally, being open-source ensures that Jellyfin remains independent and not tied to any particular company or platform.

Jellyfin supports a wide range of media formats and offers a user-friendly interface that is similar to other popular media servers. It allows you to organize and stream your media collection across various devices, including smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, and more. You can also access your media remotely, which is a great feature for those who travel frequently or have multiple locations.

Another advantage of Jellyfin is its robust transcoding capabilities, which allow you to stream your media even on devices that may not support certain formats or codecs. This ensures a smooth playback experience across different devices and platforms.

Furthermore, Jellyfin has a strong focus on privacy and security. Unlike some other media servers, Jellyfin does not collect or track any user data. This is particularly important for those who prioritize privacy and want to keep their media consumption habits private.

That being said, it's worth noting that Jellyfin is still a relatively new player in the media server market, and it may not have the same level of polish or as many features as Kodi or Plex. However, with its active community and regular updates, it's steadily growing and improving.

Ultimately, the choice between Jellyfin, Kodi, or Plex will depend on your specific needs and preferences. I would recommend trying out each of them to see which one suits you best.

Awesome answer thanks for that, I use an asustor server which is also a media server.
I don't want it to gobble up a huge amount of resources, making the video transcoding choppy etc.
Like you said I will try Plex and Kodi, I have tried Kodi a while back but Asustor stopped supporting it even though it was heavily used, can get it installed with docker but a lot of messing around.

Cheers again

Ok just a little feedback if anyone is interested, I tried Kodi but had some trouble with laggy when viewing at 4k I will look into it further possibly settings,
Plex can't log in when it loads as the screen is in my media room so remotely from my server, can't do it through controls and I can find an Android app to act as a remote control.
Jellyfin working like a charm just wish it had a few more plugins or extensions, but I guess as it seems a more basic system will not hog too many system resources..

I am Switches a couple of years from plex to jellyfin... jellyfin works like a charm. And also with transcoding... for transcoding (i dont know why) i have to build my own ffmpeg for the nvidia 1050.

So on plex transcoding was Not able to use my 1050

I like Jellyfin, it is fork of Emby and it is open source Software. It have clients for a lot of platforms and it can be used in a browser.

Zurück
Oben